We first had to hire a company to grind out the large stumps from the side yard. Of course, this was not as simple as it seemed either. The stump grinding company hit the main water pipe that led to our water meters, as they were grinding out the stumps. This caused a water leak, and the city had to come out and repair the leak. At least the plumber didn't have to come out for this one.
Once the stumps were removed, we could plant new trees. We really need shade on that side because the house has so many windows, and it gets very hot there in the afternoon with direct sunlight shining on the side of the house.
We ran hoses under the house and connected them to multiple sprinkler heads. We added a three zone timer to automatically water our new trees late at night.
|We planted 5 new trees on the side. Note the brown patches; that is where the stumps where ground out.|
|We planted 2 Queen Palms out front and one pecan tree.|
|The grapevine we planted last year is thriving and even has grapes on it. Hope we can get them before the birds!|
|The grapefruit tree we planted last year has some small grapefruits on it.|
|One of our automatic sprinkler heads.|